The advertising design capstone project provides students the opportunity to complete a multidimensional ad design project in three stages, working closely with a faculty member. The project will challenge students to demonstrate their proficiency in key aspects of the Advertising Design program. The project will require research, concept development, and critical thinking, providing students with the opportunity to explore a professional, iterative process as well as experience simulated client interactions.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Credit-bearing: 2 Credits
- Classes start January, April, and August
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Client Brief and Researching and Conceptualizing
You will present your research and concept for initial feedback along with images, colors, and typography based on the concept.
Preparing the Branding Plan
Next, you will prepare the branding and identity materials for the client and receive additional feedback.
Creating Your Final Deliverables and Presentation
Proceed to your final deliverables: stationery, point-of-sale piece, and advertisement. You are expected to present your final work professionally in PowerPoint and with a written plan that details your thought process and design techniques.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
This multi-faceted portfolio project includes identity design, print advertising design, point-of-sale advertising, and an online banner or integrated ad.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign or equivalent programs.
- Experience in the above software.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Show the ability to research companies and products in a specific genres, design trends, and marketing initiatives.
- Develop a design system (color, type, layouts) to appeal to specific target audience.
- Utilize brainstorming, sketches, tearsheets, mood boards, or other methods to develop creative ideas.
- Design a logo that reflects your research, your overall design concept, your color scheme, and your type choices.
- Create a style guide based on your color scheme, typefaces, and logo design.
- Design a point-of-sale advertising piece.
- Design a print ad with an appropriate size and placement idea based on your research.
- Research an appropriate forum for an online banner or integrated ad.
- Create two digital advertisements designed to run in a forum or Web site that fits with the project audience.
- Write social media content designed to retain potential consumers attracted by the rest of the advertising campaign.
- Create a polished final presentation video with accompanying well-designed visual slides.
- Write a 500 word professional summary to accompany your materials.
- Classes start January, April, and August
- 2 Credit Course
- Project-Based: Exercises, Discussions, and Critiques
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$1220|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Course Registration Form
To register for this course, use the form below to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. In each course you’ll enjoy a series of lectures, projects, discussions, and critiques designed to stretch your creative skills, earning college credit for your completed course.
How Much Time Do I Need?
Classes start January, April, and August, and this course can be completed in a 15-week term. College credit from this course can be applied to a range of degree and certificate level programs at Sessions College.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. This means that you’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).