Did you ever wonder how giant corporations such as CBS, BMW, and Sony establish their corporate images? And how important these company images are in promoting their respective franchises? Discover the answers in this online brand identity course. Explore through case studies the essential skills required to design logos, marketing materials, and advertising programs to establish and promote a corporate identity. You'll be designing or redesigning company identities for both existing companies and newly established businesses.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Study at your own pace
- Complete this course in 6-8 weeks
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Intro to Corporate Identity
How does a company and organization project a coherent identity that's as recognizable as a human personality? We will explore the history, purpose, and possibilities of corporate identity. This session presents the concept of experienced value and how it relates to visual design and includes case studies of CBS and BMW.
Design and Corporate Strategy
Where do company logos come from and how do they evolve? This week, we will look at the reasons for identity overhauls and how to make the most of change. Case studies of British Airways, Texaco, and others are discussed to explore the connection between company identities and changes in national and worldwide consciousness.
Designing a Corporate Brand
What skills do you need to design a great company logo or communicate with a corporate client? These characteristics will be discussed this week so you can work professionally and with the needs of clients and consumers in mind. A case study documenting the evolution of the BBC identity will be explored.
Design Process and Methodology
In this session we will focus on the first of three critical phases of company design. Methods of solving important problems will be addressed, which is key to successfully handling the actual company identity creation. You will also explore a case study of NSB, a Norwegian railway company that decided to modernize its identity, only to encounter a world of problems in need of solutions.
From Solution to Evaluation
Every problem has a solution, and in this lesson we present the "solution phase" of the design process with a focus on generating effective ideas, overall strategies, and the all-important design manual. The lecture wraps up with a look at the "evaluation phase" in which solutions are put to the test.
Product and Corporate Design
A company logo is merely cosmetic without a strong product to back it up, and we'll look at the role the product plays in a company design in this lesson. Specifically, you'll explore how identity is presented through product designs from Apple and Sony.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
Develop a visual identity, implement a rebranding, design a product line, and develop an identity suite for a small business.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Basic experience in the above software.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Develop an understanding of the different components of a corporate identity and the designer's role in developing it.
- Research and design logos for three different companies, exploring differences in concept development.
- Develop an understanding of how corporate identity is influenced by corporate business strategy.
- Research and redesign a TV network's logo to change or better present its identity.
- Design logos and cohesive brand identities for three product lines of hair care products.
- Develop an understanding of the skills and attributes required to become a corporate designer.
- Apply a three-step methodology to research and develop a concept for the visual identity of a restaurant.
- Apply approaches to researching, conceptualizing, and sketching design ideas and presenting your work to the client.
- Develop and hone a visual identity, presenting it to a fictional client in different applications.
- Develop an understanding of the critical relationship between product, environment, communication, and logo design.
- Apply a finished design to a shop front for the client's restaurant, letterhead, business cards, and other elements: a proposal, user guide, and slideshow.
- Enroll today, start tomorrow
- Study at your own pace
- Complete within 3 months
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$999|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Click Register Now to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. There are no set logins, so you can study at your own pace. In each course you’ll complete a series of lectures and projects designed to stretch your creative skills.
How Much Time Do I Need?
This course can be completed in 60 hours or less. You’ll have three months from enrollment to complete the course studying at your own pace. Extensions are available for those who need more time.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. This means that you’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).