Expand your Web dev skills with JQuery
Feedback from design professionals
Stretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own Pace
Self-paced and scheduled programs available
Project - Interactive quiz
2 - Dominating the DOM with jQuery
Project - Form with validation
3 - Fully Loaded with jQuery
Using jQuery, interactivity can take many forms: User input can allow us to insert and remove content, move content around, generate new content, or even load content from external files. In Lesson Three, we explore how jQuery's insertion methods can help us manipulate content (text, images, or media) throughout a Web site. We explore how to get and set content and program safely within important browser security protections. We look at how to write code that runs asynchronously to accomplish a series of tasks, and how to use callback functions to detect program completion. We look at effect methods that can make interactivity clearer or more exciting, and how to use event methods to program different stages in user interaction.
Project - Single page site
4 - Collect Your Thoughts with Arrays
Many useful Web interfaces are driven by a database. In Lesson Four, you'll explore how to efficiently and elegantly select data, run programs with it, and design it for your Web pages. You'll learn how to work with the array object type and use for-loops to iterate code and execute your programs. You'll learn how to avoid the trap of the "infinite loop" and break out of for-loops. You'll learn how to make the data more usable for Web visitors with array methods.
Project - Contact Management Page
5 - Responding to Responsive Needs
Project - Client site with Bootstrap
6 - Plugging in to jQuery
Project - Personal or portfolio project
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Define and use variables, operators, and functions and use variable types correctly.
- Construct and understand conditional statements.
- Interpret and utilize the Document Object Model (DOM) of HTML pages.
- Use CSS selectors to reference elements of the DOM.
- Set up a basic jQuery skeleton within an HTML document.
- Use jQuery and CSS selectors to alter the appearance and behavior of an HTML document.
- Use jQuery to get information about the current state of DOM elements.
- Use jQuery's insertion methods for manipulating the DOM.
- Load external content into a single HTML page with jQuery.
- Utilize asynchronous code and hand off control from one function to another.
- Work with arrays, manipulating them and sorting the order of elements.
- Utilize for-loops to control program flow.
- Implement interactive effects and event methods.
- Work with the object data type.
- Explain the difference between a framework and a library.
- Set up and use the Bootstrap framework in HTML documents.
- Edit and customize Bootstrap's grid, contextual colors, and other responsive styles.
- Create full-featured interfaces using Bootstrapped HTML elements.
- Explain how Bootstrap and jQuery interact.
- Debug programs using professional developer tools
- Apply a lightbox model plugin, a slideshow model plugin, and a parallax scrolling plugin to an HTML page.
Interested in this course? Scheduled enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Tuition|
3-credit course, 15 week
|Jan, Apr, Aug||$200||$490/credit|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.
** Effective July 1, 2020, the tuition for non-matriculated courses will increase to $510/credit. Applicants who complete enrollment and acceptance prior to June 30th can enroll at 2019-2020 tuition rates.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Account with a Web hosting service (free services are available).
- Experience in HTML and CSS and FTPing files to the Web.
- Adobe Photoshop or equivalent digital imaging program.
- Experience in the above software.
Course developed by Geoph Essex
Enrolling online is easy and convenient.
Chat with our knowledgeable admissions staff to select course and program options.
Complete your registration entirely online.
Did you know? You can take this course as part of an award-winning certificate or degree program.