Digital Media Capstone Project
Digital Media Capstone Project
The Digital Media capstone project is a complete client experience in video and animation, from concept to the final presentation of a series of client pieces. Students work closely with the department head using a full project brief to a propose a character design, storyboard media concepts, and develop full animation and video for the client. The project is executed in three stages with feedback and discussion at each stage. Students are expected to discuss, present, and critique their work with the highest level of professionalism, and implement research strategies that contribute to the overall finished project.
Student work by Joshua Metz
A portfolio project for Digital Media majors
Feedback from design professionals
Stretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own Pace
Self-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - Stage One
You will present, for initial feedback, your research and concept for a mascot, including a 2D image of the mascot and a mockup of your client's home page featuring the mascot. You will also present a storyboard and concept for your commercial.
2 - Stage Two
After you have your character concept and rough commercial storyboard, you will start building and compiling a package of assets for your commercial. At least one asset—but not the character itself—will be a 3D element built in Maya. You will present this package of assets along with a rough draft of the character animation in the commercial for the second round of feedback.
3 - Stage Three
In the final stage, you will complete all shooting, animation, and compositing and present a final draft of your full commercial. You will use Adobe After Effects for your final editing. You are expected to present your final work professionally and write a presentation that details your thought process and design techniques.
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Research design concepts for a digital technology client.
- Present research into relevant inspirational or competitive Web sites as references along with a written analysis and explanation of how they will contribute to your concept.
- Develop and present initial sketches and 2D images for your project, as well as a home page wireframe.
- Develop and present a written concept and storyboard for a 30 second commercial.
- Prepare thumbnails for an animation and create an animation environment and associated assets for use in a 30 second commercial.
- Prepare a simple animated 3D asset for integration in a 30 second commercial that demonstrates proficiency in texturing, lighting, and animating 3D models.
- Shoot and edit live footage for use in a 30 second commercial that demonstrates proficiency in scene framing, shot types, camera movements, pacing, transitions, and rhythm.
- Demonstrate the ability to composite all animation, footage, and assets in an After Effects workspace.
- Prepare and optimize a complete final 30 second commercial representing a good understanding of the design goals in creating a promotional short.
- Deliver a written presentation of an entire project that demonstrates critical thinking ability, professional project presentation skills, and the ability to develop/explain your creative process.
- Create a complete project that exhibits a competence in using a professional design process for digital media including competitive research, thumbnails and storyboards, 3D assets, animation, shot and edited live action footage, and composited final footage.
Interested in this course? This course is available to students enrolled in the Associate of Occupational Studies program.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection (broadband recommended).
- Depending on your choice of project, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Flash/Animate and Autodesk Maya.
- Experience in the above software or equivalent programs.
- An account with an ad-free Web hosting service.
Course developed by Greg Marlow
Enrolling online is easy and convenient.
Chat with our knowledgeable admissions staff to select course and program options.
Complete your registration entirely online.
Did you know? You can take this course as part of an award-winning certificate or degree program.