Graphic Design Capstone Project
Graphic Design Capstone Project
The Graphic Design capstone project provides a simulation of an extended client design project. Students will take a project from concept to final presentation. Students work closely with the department head, interpreting a project brief, developing design elements, and designing a logo, brochure, and package design. The project is executed in three stages with feedback and discussion at each stage. Students are expected to discuss, present, and critique their work with a high level of professionalism, and implement research strategies that contribute to the overall finished project.
A portfolio project for Graphic Design majors
Instructor-Led CourseFeedback from design professionals
Creative ProjectsStretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own PaceSelf-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - Choosing a Client
You will present your research and concept for initial feedback.
2 - Researching and Conceptualizing
Prepare images, colors, and typography based on the concept and submit them for additional feedback.
3 - Preparing the Design
Present your final deliverables: a polished logo, brochure, and package design.
- Research a design concept for an environmentally friendly laundry detergent. Your research should show evidence of in-depth research in order to produce a striking, memorable, and creative solution.
- Present five relevant research sources along with a written analysis and explanation of how they contributed to your concept.
- Present the development of a design concept using sketches, tearsheets, mood boards, and any other methods of your choice to present concepts for a design that will later be translated into the required deliverables for the client.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with instructor feedback to refine your initial design concept.
- Prepare a distinctive color palette based on the principles of color harmony. Your work should exhibit a sophisticated use of color and contrast, the ability to research colors that are appropriate for the client and project.
- Edit and enhance provided images using color correction, retouching, silhouetting, collage, or other techniques depending on your concept. Your work should demonstrate effective decisions in selecting and editing images, and the ability to improve images or combine them in realistic or imaginative ways.
- Research and present appropriate typefaces and design typography to support the branding or communication goal of the client and project. Your work should demonstrate the ability to organize text into a clear, readable information hierarchy in page layouts while using display type for impact and expression.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with instructor feedback to refine your color, imaging, and typography work.
- Create a logo design in Illustrator that can be used in a brochure and package design as well as in other applications such as business cards, billboards, and Web sites.
- Demonstrate the ability to create a simple, stylized logo for effective visual communication as well as an understanding of the use of branding and typography.
- Create a four-page brochure that presents a laundry product to potential customers via organic markets, laundromats, and eco-friendly clothing stores.
- Show the ability to create consistent, engaging, and readable brochure layout in InDesign for multi-page documents using master pages to control the style and positioning of text and graphics. Your work should also show skill in fundamental design and composition techniques and proficiency in designing information for print publications.
- Create a six-sided fold-up carton design for the laundry package/product. The design will be presented as a flat design showing all six sides of the box as well as a 3D version.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with instructor feedback to refine your logo, brochure, and packaging design work.
- Conduct a written presentation of an entire project that demonstrates critical thinking ability, professional project presentation skills, and the ability to develop/explain your creative process.
- Create a complete project that exhibits professional competence in print design genres including logo/branding design, brochure layout, and packaging.
Interested in this course? This course is available to students enrolled in the Associate of Occupational Studies program.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign or equivalent programs.
- Experience in the above software.