The Graphic Design capstone project provides a simulation of an extended client design project. Students will take a project from concept to final presentation. Students work closely with the department head, interpreting a project brief, developing design elements, and designing a logo, brochure, and package design. The project is executed in three stages with feedback and discussion at each stage. Students are expected to discuss, present, and critique their work with a high level of professionalism, and implement research strategies that contribute to the overall finished project.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Credit-bearing: 2 Credits
- Classes start January, April, and August
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Choosing a Client
You will present your research and concept for initial feedback.
Researching and Conceptualizing
Prepare images, colors, and typography based on the concept and submit them for additional feedback.
Preparing the Design
Present your final deliverables: a polished logo, brochure, and package design.
Student work will be evaluated to assess the achievement of program outcomes defined for the Associate of Occupational Studies in Graphic Design program. Please consult the following program page for a complete statement of program outcomes.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
This multi-faceted portfolio project includes visual identity design, brochure design, package design, and design standards manual.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign or equivalent programs.
- Experience in the above software.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Research a design concept for a new product.
- Present relevant research sources along with a written analysis and explanation of how they contributed to your concept.
- Present the development of a design concept using sketches, tearsheets, mood boards, and any other methods of your choice to present design concepts.
- Prepare a distinctive color palette based on the principles of color harmony.
- Research and present appropriate typefaces and design typography to support the branding or communication goal of the client and project.
- Create an effective identity design for brochure and package design as well as other applications such as business cards, billboards, and Web sites.
- Create a four-page brochure and six-sided fold-up carton design for a package/product.
- Deliver a written presentation of an entire project that demonstrates critical thinking ability, professional project presentation skills, and the ability to develop/explain your creative process.
- Create a complete project that exhibits professional competence in print design genres including logo/branding design, brochure layout, and packaging.
- Classes start January, April, and August
- 2 Credit Course
- Project-Based: Exercises, Discussions, and Critiques
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$1220|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Click Register Now to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. In each course you’ll enjoy a series of lectures, projects, discussions, and critiques designed to stretch your creative skills, earning college credit for your completed course.
How Much Time Do I Need?
Classes start January, April, and August, and this course can be completed in a 15-week term. College credit from this course can be applied to a range of degree and certificate level programs at Sessions College.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. This means that you’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).