Online Photo Editing Course
Nearly every photograph can benefit from retouching, whether it's to correct subtle color problems or make major changes to the subject or background. In this online photo editing course, you'll learn how to turn good photographs into showstoppers. Using Photoshop's tools and filters, you'll learn to make seamless changes, realistically enhancing your images so that no one knows work was done. Photographers and designers will benefit from learning systematic professional routines taught in this course.
Correct and enhance photos with advanced Photoshop techniques
Learn at Your Own Pace
1 - The Retouching Toolbox
If you're comfortable with just your favorite Photoshop tools, you may be missing out on some new and enhanced ones that can make retouching work a breeze. This lesson explores the techniques behind making accurate selections, selections that produce blended results, and even selections based on custom shapes. Image editing tools for darkening, lightening, healing, and patching photos are explored, as well as techniques for subject knockouts and the indispensable Liquify filter.
Project - Image restoration
2 - Retouching Portraits
When you talk to someone in person, you don't always notice the little blemishes; personality, conversation, and movement distract you. But when you see a portrait photo of a person, you see it all, down to the last detail. In this lesson, you'll cover techniques for "digital dermatology," handling color and tone, trimming errant hairs, and even a little plastic surgery. Portrait retouching can, at times, be controversial, so you'll also learn when it's best to use these techniques and how far to go with them.
Project - Glamour retouching
3 - Retouching Products and Scenes
If you're preparing product shots for a catalog, or a landscape for a nature magazine, you know that sometimes things get in the way and the lighting is rarely ideal. This lesson will take you through techniques for correcting a range of common issues, including changing the color of a product while still keeping it realistic.
Project - Composite image
- Demonstrate a basic proficiency in using a range of professionally used correction tools.
- Make a variety of precise and soft selections.
- Apply techniques for darkening and lightening parts of an image.
- Use specialized techniques for knocking out and modifying a subject.
- Correct color and overall color balance in digital photographs.
- Use tools and filters to remove skin blemishes and smooth skin tone.
- Apply the sharpening routine in appropriate situations.
- Retouch portrait photos using the Spot Healing Brush tool, Healing Brush tool, Patch tool, and Highlight/Shadows command.
- Apply techniques for enhancing the glamour of a portrait photo, with special attention to lighting, skin, lips, and eyes.
- Apply changes to a subject's body shape.
- Remove litter and other small items from a scene that might get in the way or distract from the subject.
- Create a realistic composite photo by superimposing a subject on a background with appropriate shadows and perspective.
Interested in this course? Scheduled and self-paced enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree or certificate program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Technology Fee||Tuition|
1.5-credit course, 7 weeks
|Jan, May, Aug||$200||$50/semester||$475/credit|
30 hour course, 3 months access
|Enroll today, start tomorrow||$50||$25/course||$334|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.|
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop CC or CS6.
- Basic experience in the above software.