Online Advanced Illustrator Course
Adobe Illustrator puts any conceivable vector art objective at your fingertips. But most digital designers only scratch the surface of Illustrator. To make a splash, one must delve deeper. In this advanced online Illustrator course, you'll create photo-realistic illustrations, complex patterns, rich designs, and learn how to accelerate your efforts with helpful workflow features. Working with an expert instructor, build on your existing Illustrator skills and tackle high-end projects with depth, dimension, and wow-power.
Expand your Adobe Illustrator skills in challenging projects
Learn at Your Own Pace
1 - Advanced Color
There's more to color in Illustrator than the fill and stroke boxes. In this lesson you'll pick up techniques for sampling colors and using swatch libraries, and learn to develop color schemes with Recolor Artwork. You'll blend colors with gradients, the Blend tool, and the Mesh tool, adding more dimension and even realism to your work, and wrap up with a look at adjusting color through special color commands.
Project - Photorealistic art
2 - Transparency
Sophisticated transparency techniques can make your work more multi-faceted and intriguing. Lesson Two covers techniques such as opacity masks and knockout groups, along with a detailed look at each of Illustrator's blend modes. Finally, you'll see how transparency features can be handled by your printer for accurate output.
Project - Product design
3 - Shape Transformations
A piece of vector art can become a sophisticated 3D object with the techniques that you'll find in Lesson Three. You'll also take a thorough look at blends and effects that can randomly or precisely re-shape your Illustrator designs and amaze your viewers.
Project - Packaging label
4 - Clipping Masks and Styles
This lesson tackles more ways to speed your workflow, as well as an important method for masking or framing artwork. This method is the clipping mask, key to encasing artwork within other shapes. The Graphic Styles and Appearance panels are explored, giving you greater control over the appearance of any object.
Project - Map design
5 - Brushes, Patterns, Symbols, and Graphing
Illustrator helps you streamline your workflow by providing the ability to customize features and quickly reuse repetitive designs or objects. First, you'll look at complex brush techniques including art and scatter brushes that can "paint" with your own designs. Next, you will discover how Illustrator allows you to create patterns with precision and ease. You'll explore symbols, an indispensable feature enabling you to reuse common elements.
Project - Invitation design
6 - Tracing and Web Optimization
Adobe Illustrator makes it easy to work with other common design programs like Photoshop and Word. This lesson explores those modalities and looks at other technologies that Illustrator can handle, import, and export, including basic Web graphics. You'll also learn how to take images from bitmap to vector using Image Trace technology.
Project - Poster art
- Develop an enhanced Illustrator workflow using color swatch libraries and advanced color sampling.
- Create photo-realistic color transitions and artwork using gradients, blends, and meshes.
- Create and modify transparent objects and set up transparent documents for print output.
- Apply opacity masks and blend modes to add depth and convincing lighting to photo-realistic illustrations.
- Use the Extrude & Bevel, Revolve, and Map Art features to create detailed three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional illustrations.
- Apply special effects to blend, distort, and manipulate existing shapes.
- Manage artwork attributes efficiently and record frequently used attributes as graphic styles.
- Create compound paths, fill rules, and multi-strokes for added flexibility of illustration.
- Use custom and preset symbols to create patterns, manage artwork, and maintain low file size.
- Use clipping masks to frame or shield areas of an illustration.
- Create complex designs and seamless tiles using custom brushes and pattern fills.
- Combine Illustrator with other technologies to produce optimized Web ready image files and PDFs.
- Use Image Trace to create stylized vector illustrations based on bitmap images.
Interested in this course? Scheduled and self-paced enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree or certificate program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Technology Fee||Tuition|
3 credits, 15 weeks
|Jan, May, Aug||$200||$50/semester||$475/credit|
60 clock hours, 3 months access
|Enroll today, start tomorrow||$50||$25/course||$534|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.|
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Illustrator CC or CS6.
- Adobe Photoshop or equivalent program.
- Basic experience in the above software.
Very impressed. I was so lost when I first began Adobe Illustrator. This course was very informative and I am quite comfortable using Illustrator now.Tina Dryden, Digital Arts Certificate