Online Intro Logo Design Course
Logo Design I
Logos are the front line—the identity of a company. They are ubiquitous, and they are vital. In this introductory online logo design course, you'll learn how to design logos that will strengthen the visual image of your own or your client's company. Working with a design pro, you'll explore the development of logos through a series of case studies. Each exercise combines a written, conceptual component with hands-on projects for creating an effective logo.
Logo design by Mickey Jordan
A step-by-step process for logo design
Feedback from design professionals
Stretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own Pace
Self-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - The Research Stage
Lesson One begins with a brief history of logo types, looking at some of the historical influences on logo design. Then we'll move on to a discussion of research, and the important role it plays in logo design. You'll begin to explore our course case study, a real project with some interesting twists.
Project - Type based concepts
2 - The Design Stage
Lesson Two explores both what you need to think about as a logo designer and what tools you'll need. You'll gain a sense of what the necessary aspects of a logo are, by examining the strengths and weaknesses of sample logos. Part two of the case study moves by example through the design process, illustrating many of the points discussed in the lesson.
Project - Concept development
3 - The Finalization Stage
Fine-tuning and the manipulation of positive and negative space makes up the majority of Lesson Three. We also discuss how aspects of logo design make for strong brand recognition, and how to make a brand manual containing rules for logo usage. The case study takes an interesting turn, proving that each project is unique.
Project - Final logo design
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Develop an understanding of the origins of logo design, including the original purpose of logos in conveying ownership, origin, and social rank or status.
- Manage the three stages of a professional logo design process.
- Develop an understanding of the research stage of a logo design: communicating with clients, pricing, researching competitors, and researching typography.
- Research and critique logo designs in a specific business area.
- Create type-only logos based on researched typography.
- Brainstorm and write up concepts for logos.
- Create preliminary logo design concepts.
- Analyze and critique the strengths and weaknesses of different logos.
- Recognize the importance of simplicity, shape, and positive/negative space in logo design.
- Present an informed commentary explaining why a logo design is effective or ineffective.
- Interpret or write design rules for the usage of a logo.
Interested in this course? Scheduled and self-paced enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree or certificate program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Tuition|
1.5-credit course, 7 weeks
|Jan, Apr, Aug||$200||$490/credit|
30 hour course, 3 months access
|Enroll today, start tomorrow||$50||$619|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.
** Effective July 1, 2020, the tuition for non-matriculated courses will increase to $510/credit. Applicants who complete enrollment and acceptance prior to June 30th can enroll at 2019-2020 tuition rates.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop.
- Basic experience in the above software.
Course developed by Morten Sohlberg
Enrolling online is easy and convenient.
Chat with our knowledgeable admissions staff to select course and program options.
Complete your registration entirely online.
Did you know? You can take this course as part of an award-winning certificate or degree program.