Online Color Correction Course
Do you know how to get the best out of your digital images? As every art director knows, even the best photographs (on the best of days) can be plagued by problems such as color casts, unnatural tones, dull highlights, murky shadows, or low contrast. In this online color correction course, you'll learn systematic techniques for every aspect of Photoshop color management using Photoshop. Working with a Photoshop guru, you'll learn how to identify classic color scenarios and use both comprehensive and quick-and-dirty methods for correcting them.
Perfect your images using color correction in Photoshop
Instructor-Led CourseFeedback from design professionals
Creative ProjectsStretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own PaceSelf-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - Color Fundamentals
Lesson One builds a conceptual foundation for color correction. You'll explore what color correction is and learn why it's an important part of the digital imaging workflow. You'll learn how RGB and CMYK images are constructed by pixels and color channels and displayed on your computer or other output devices, and gain an introduction to main correction terms to know.
Project - Image evaluation
2 - Measuring and Calibrating Color
Lesson Two equips you with a scientific approach to evaluation using Eyedropper tool and the Info panel. You'll learn how to correct grayscale and color images using expert calibration curves that you've created yourself, and explore how linearization and neutralization are achieved.
Project - Correction curves
3 - Color Image Evaluation
Now it's time for the nitty-gritty of colors-identifying diffuse and specular highlights, color casts, midtones, and shadows. Photoshop Levels histograms are explored in detail to help you evaluate these key image components. With professional evaluation techniques, you'll know where your images need to be corrected and how to proceed.
Project - Image evaluation
4 - Correcting Color Accurately
Lesson Four covers procedures for color correction, ranging from the most efficient to the most exacting. For quick-fix scenarios, you'll learn how to correct images beautifully with just a little work using Levels. For high-profile or critical scenarios, you'll learn a systematic approach to management of colors that removes the guesswork. You'll also explore some of the more subjective areas of correction—how to make skin tone look "right" and when color casts might be used for effect.
Project - Color correction scenarios
5 - Color Correction Workflow
By Lesson Five, you've learned a range of essential techniques for correcting your photos with great accuracy. Here you'll learn to put them all together into a useful and efficient workflow, from measuring your values to adjusting the details. You'll learn to use adjustment layers to accomplish your corrections in an editable, non-destructive manner.
Project - Adjustment layers
6 - Finishing Up Your Color Images
Correction of colors isn't the final step in producing your images. Once your images are corrected, you still have many important production steps to carry out. In Lesson Six, you'll learn how to sharpen your final images, convert them to CMYK for printing, and preview and proof your print images on-screen.
Final - Image production
- Explain the purpose of color correction and master the vocabulary and concepts associated with this subject.
- Explain how RGB and CMYK images are handled by the computer and Photoshop, and how to configure Photoshop to present color properly and consistently.
- Configure and use Photoshop's Eyedropper tool and Info panel to measure color effectively.
- Use target swatches to create calibration curves that accurately correct image colors.
- Apply saved calibration curves to accurately linearize grayscale images and neutralize color images.
- Identify specular highlights, diffuse highlights, midtones, shadows, and color casts in an image using measurement tools.
- Perform adjustments using Curves and Levels based on the identified problems in images.
- Learn specific considerations for correcting skin tone and allowing certain color casts to remain in images.
- Learn the appropriate uses and settings for EPS and TIF file output and how to proof and convert images for printing.
- Demonstrate professional-quality techniques and decision-making on a wide range of images.
Interested in this course? Scheduled and self-paced enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree or certificate program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Technology Fee||Tuition|
3 credits, 15 weeks
|Jan, May, Aug||$200||$50/semester||$475/credit|
60 clock hours, 3 months access
|Enroll today, start tomorrow||$50||$25/course||$534|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.|
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 or CC.
- Basic experience in Adobe Photoshop.
- Digital camera and color printer recommended not required.