Illustration Capstone Project
Illustration Capstone Project
The illustration capstone project provides students the opportunity to complete a multidimensional illustration project in three stages, working closely with a department head. A children's book publishing and promotion project will challenge students to demonstrate their proficiency in key aspects of the Illustration program. The project will require research, concept development, and critical thinking, providing students with the opportunity to explore a professional, iterative process as well as experience simulated client interactions.
A portfolio project for Illustration majors
Feedback from design professionals
Stretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own Pace
Self-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - Choosing a Client
Present your research and concept for initial feedback.
2 - Preparing the Design
Prepare character studies, compositional studies, colors, and typography based on the concept and submit them for additional feedback.
3 - Creating Your Final Deliverables
Create a finished book cover, a set of illustrations for the story, and some promotional material for the new book. You are expected to present your final work professionally and create a presentation that details your thought process and explains the illustration techniques you used.
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Support your design project with research of companies and products in a specific genres, design trends, and marketing initiatives.
- Research an illustration concept for a children's book publisher, identifying genres, stylistic trends, and reference illustration work to influence the direction of your concept.
- Use brainstorming, sketches, mood boards, and other techniques to formulate a coherent design concept.
- Create character sketches and compositional sketches for a book illustration project.
- Develop colors, typography, and other design elements to consistent with your book illustration concept.
- Illustrate at least three scenes from a children's book story laid out with the appropriate text.
- Create an eye-catching cover with text and illustration(s) for a children's book.
- Create an effective, stylistically consistent poster design to promoting the release of the children's book.
- Create a polished presentation of your final work including a 500 word professional summary to accompany your materials.
Interested in this course? This course is available to students enrolled in the Associate of Occupational Studies program.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Various drawing supplies as desired.
- Experience in the above software.
Course developed by Jordon Schranz
Enrolling online is easy and convenient.
Chat with our knowledgeable admissions staff to select course and program options.
Complete your registration entirely online.
Did you know? You can take this course as part of an award-winning certificate or degree program.