The illustration capstone project provides students the opportunity to complete a multidimensional illustration project in three stages, working closely with a department head. A children's book publishing and promotion project will challenge students to demonstrate their proficiency in key aspects of the Illustration program. The project will require research, concept development, and critical thinking, providing students with the opportunity to explore a professional, iterative process as well as experience simulated client interactions.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Credit-bearing: 2 Credits
- Classes start January, April, and August
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Choosing a Client
Present your research and concept for initial feedback.
Preparing the Design
Prepare character studies, compositional studies, colors, and typography based on the concept and submit them for additional feedback.
Creating Your Final Deliverables
Create a finished book cover, a set of illustrations for the story, and some promotional material for the new book. You are expected to present your final work professionally and create a presentation that details your thought process and explains the illustration techniques you used.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
In this multifaceted portfolio project, you'll develop or adapt a story and character designs for a children's book, creating layouts, cover, and a promotional poster.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Various drawing supplies as desired.
- Experience in the above software.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Support your design project with research of companies and products in a specific genres, design trends, and marketing initiatives.
- Research an illustration concept for a children's book publisher, identifying genres, stylistic trends, and reference illustration work to influence the direction of your concept.
- Use brainstorming, sketches, mood boards, and other techniques to formulate a coherent design concept.
- Create character sketches and compositional sketches for a book illustration project.
- Develop colors, typography, and other design elements to consistent with your book illustration concept.
- Illustrate at least three scenes from a children's book story laid out with the appropriate text.
- Create an eye-catching cover with text and illustration(s) for a children's book.
- Create an effective, stylistically consistent poster design to promoting the release of the children's book.
- Create a polished presentation of your final work including a 500 word professional summary to accompany your materials.
- Classes start January, April, and August
- 2 Credit Course
- Project-Based: Exercises, Discussions, and Critiques
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$1220|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Course Registration Form
To register for this course, use the form below to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. In each course you’ll enjoy a series of lectures, projects, discussions, and critiques designed to stretch your creative skills, earning college credit for your completed course.
How Much Time Do I Need?
Classes start January, April, and August, and this course can be completed in a 15-week term. College credit from this course can be applied to a range of degree and certificate level programs at Sessions College.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. This means that you’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).