The Web Design capstone project is a complete client project in Web design, from concept to the final presentation of a series of client pieces. Students work closely with the department head using a full project brief to create information design concepts, a complete Web site and associated graphics, and a banner advertisement. The project is executed in three stages with feedback and a discussion at each stage. Students are expected to discuss, present, and critique their work with the highest level of professionalism, and implement research strategies that contribute to the overall finished project.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Credit-bearing: 2 Credits
- Classes start January, April, and August
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Choosing a Client/Site Planning and Architecture
You will begin the project with some site planning and architecture and a rough marketing concept, all of which you will submit for initial feedback.
Site Design Elements
You will later produce a mood board demonstrating your color palette, type choices, and image choices, plus a home page mockup design and a marketing plan and ad design.
Creating Your Final Deliverables
Optimize your graphics and create a complete Web site, with interactivity usability testing. You are expected to present your final work professionally and write a presentation that details your thought process and design techniques.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
This multifaceted portfolio project affords the opportunity to design and layout a fully functional promotional website and banner/social media campaign ads from scratch.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver or equivalent programs.
- An account with an ad-free Web hosting service.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Research design concepts for a Web site and marketing campaign.
- Develop and present research into competitor websites.
- Develop and present a site map, home page wireframe, and home page mockup.
- Develop and present a promotional concept for a website.
- Develop a design system (color, typography, and layout) based on research and client information.
- Create or edit professional level images for the Web site project.
- Develop and present a detailed marketing plan and at least one visual advertising design.
- Develop and publish a website using standards-compliant HTML, CSS, and any other coding.
- Conduct and present basic usability testing on the site and correct any issues.
- Design professional-level web page layouts with attention to usability: consistent navigation, clear visual hierarchy, and intuitive interface design.
- Present your project utilizing critical thinking ability, professional presentation skills, and the ability to explain your creative process.
- Classes start January, April, and August
- 2 Credit Course
- Project-Based: Exercises, Discussions, and Critiques
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$1220|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Click Register Now to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. In each course you’ll enjoy a series of lectures, projects, discussions, and critiques designed to stretch your creative skills, earning college credit for your completed course.
How Much Time Do I Need?
Classes start January, April, and August, and this course can be completed in a 15-week term. College credit from this course can be applied to a range of degree and certificate level programs at Sessions College.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. This means that you’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).