6 Ways to Market Yourself
by Margaret Penney | February 6, 2017
Freelance designers and creative entrepreneurs are usually responsible for their own marketing and client and business development. They have to wear a lot of hats and constantly come up with new ways to promote themselves.
With that in mind, we’ve collected six sure-fire ways for designers and creatives to put the word out about their creative businesses.
- Add an Email Newsletter Sign-Up. Add a newsletter sign-up form to your website and start developing a list of potential clients and interested parties. Offer a free downloadable asset as an incentive, like a printable design or information sheet.
- Promote a Special Offer. Attract business by offering a special offer like a logo design bundle or 20% off a specific design service.
- Keep in Touch with Past Clients. Sometimes clients may have a project on the horizon but haven’t gotten to the point of moving forward with it yet. A well-timed email showing interest and appreciation of a past client is a great way to find new projects.
- Create an Instructional video. If you have time and media skills, creating a how to video on YouTube or Vimeo is a great way to demonstrate your creative skills and also share knowledge.
- Attend Networking Events. Find local small business or design organizations and attend their networking events. Your local chamber of commerce is a good place to start.
- Team up with Other Businesses. If you have a design services company, team up with other businesses that need your services, like a small publishing house, advertising agency or print shop.
Margaret Penney is the Managing Editor of Notes on Design. Margaret is a teacher, designer, writer and new media artist and founder of Hello Creative Co.