You've spent years building a portfolio brimming with beautiful work. You can have all the talent in the world, but you also need to know how to position yourself for successful career. In this online design business course, you'll learn the essentials of finding work as a creative professional, whether in a design firm, in-house art department, or freelance. You'll gain feedback from a design pro on everything from how to present your portfolio and resume, find work opportunities, and market yourself, to building a professional persona and networking with your peers.
Course At A Glance
- 100% online
- Study at your own pace
- Complete this course in 3-4 weeks
The course is taught by the following instructor(s):
Take this course as a standalone or as part of the following program(s):
Defining Your Goals and Brand
At outset of your design career, questions arise: Where should I look for work? How much money can I expect? How can I stand out? Our first session helps you navigate choppy economic waters and helps you address the eternal choice between freelance and full-time employment. You'll focus on determining which environment is right for your personality and your long-term career prospects, and you'll start to develop your persona as a professional designer.
Resume and Portfolio Building
When the right job comes along, are you ready to apply? You'll need to develop a sharp resume and portfolio to prove you've got the chops. This week's class starts with a look at the ingredients necessary for an effective and good-looking resume. You'll also learn tips for cover letter writing to make a great first impression. And you know that your portfolio is key to getting hired, so you'll learn how to present your work effectively in-person and online.
Self-Promotion and Finding Your Clients
Clients don't call you out of nowhere. To get jobs, you'll need to develop a marketing strategy. The final lecture covers different ways of reaching clients and employers, including researching leads and networking at events. You'll look at the benefits of creating a marketing plan and self-promotional design pieces, and you'll learn tips for conducting great interviews and presentations.
Sample Student Work
What Are The Course Projects?
Career focused projects help you define your goals, your creative niche, and your job search strategy, and define your persona, polishing your portfolio and your interview skills.
What Software or Supplies Do I Need?
- Computer with Internet connection.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator or equivalent digital imaging programs.
- Experience in graphic design and the above software.
What Will I Learn?
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Review the main options for freelance, agency, and in-house careers in design.
- Examine economic conditions affecting design job prospects and determine salary and hourly rates.
- Set personal milestones for a design career.
- Build a career persona including an icon, headshots, and biography text.
- Develop an effective resume and cover letter using writing and formatting techniques.
- Analyze the components of effective offline and online portfolios.
- Identify key methods for networking with potential clients, potential employers, and other designers.
- Plan self-promotion marketing endeavors including goals, action steps, and collateral.
- Effectively research potential clients and employers and make contact accordingly.
- Apply professional interview and presentation techniques.
- Enroll today, start tomorrow
- Study at your own pace
- Complete within 3 months
|Course Tuition and Fees|
|Total Course Price||$669|
Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for course content.
Click Register Now to enter your information and desired start date. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to arrange payment and provide you with an Enrollment Agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Courses Like?
Our courses are project-based. There are no set logins, so you can study at your own pace. In each course you’ll complete a series of lectures and projects designed to stretch your creative skills.
How Much Time Do I Need?
This course can be completed in 30 hours or less. You’ll have three months from enrollment to complete the course studying at your own pace. Extensions are available for those who need more time.
Who Are The Instructors?
Our courses are developed and taught by our faculty of professional artists, designers, and photographers. You’ll learn in-demand skills, get feedback on your work, and build a portfolio of creative work.
Is Sessions College accredited?
Yes. Since 2001, Sessions College has been accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The Distance Education Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).