Online Intro Marketing Design Course
Intro to Marketing
Today's business clients are looking for designers who can apply their creative talents in ways that enhance strategic business goals. In this online introductory Marketing Design course, you'll learn tried-and-true marketing concepts and explore how they affect the design process. You'll gain a solid grasp of the marketing process, understand key terms and concepts that every marketer uses, and pick up smart questions to ask in client meetings.
Fundamental concepts in marketing design
Feedback from design professionals
Stretch your skills, grow your portfolio
Learn at Your Own Pace
Self-paced and scheduled programs available
1 - Fundamentals of Marketing
Lesson One builds key marketing concepts and terminology that every designer should know. Marketing is defined and the evolution of marketing is explored through product-, customer-, and marketing-focused eras. The extensive role that marketing can play throughout a company's business is examined. A case study analyzes a major company's marketing efforts.
Project - Marketing media plan
2 - Principles of Marketing
Most marketing initiatives flow from (or enhance) the brand of an existing company or product. Lesson Two begins by addressing the concept of the brand and how companies create a brand experience. The "seven Ps" of marketing are explored—essential elements that shape all marketing activities. You'll understand how issues such as price, place, and promotion work together to shape the business context for your design projects. Then you'll take a look at advertising and sales promotions and the different ways they affect consumer decision-making.
Project - Evaluating marketing strategies
3 - Strategies to Market and Sell
Lesson Three rounds out your marketing 101 with a look at the key aspects of business documents that companies use to define their strategy. You'll learn how to interpret key components of a marketing plan from a design perspective, and how to use a mission statement and other business goals to understand your clients' needs. Then you'll learn practical guidelines for any marketing design project, and even look at some tactics to help market yourself as a designer.
Project - Working from a client brief
Students in this course can expect to learn to:
- Define the purpose of marketing and differentiate between product, consumer, and marketing-focused companies.
- Analyze and discuss the "seven Ps" of marketing activities: price, place, promotion, product, people, physical evidence, and process.
- Identify and analyze the target audience for a company and its products and analyze the effectiveness of three marketing pieces.
- Consider appropriate media for marketing a company's products.
- Identify how marketing pieces reflect a company's approach to price, place, and product.
- Analyze a company or product brand, identifying consistent features and brand messages.
- Evaluate a company's business objectives and overall marketing direction at a basic level.
- Analyze and discuss how mission, vision, value, and positioning statements set out the goals of a company's marketing initiatives.
Interested in this course? Scheduled and self-paced enrollment options are available. Ask Admissions about taking this course as part of a degree or certificate program.
|Course Level||Classes start||Registration Fee||Tuition|
1.5-credit course, 7 weeks
|Jan, Apr, Aug||$200||$490/credit|
30 hour course, 3 months access
|Enroll today, start tomorrow||$50||$619|
|* Registration fees are nonrefundable after 5 days from enrollment. All tuition includes a digital materials fee for updates to course or program content.
** Effective July 1, 2020, the tuition for non-matriculated courses will increase to $510/credit. Applicants who complete enrollment and acceptance prior to June 30th can enroll at 2019-2020 tuition rates.
Software and Supplies
To take this course you'll need:
- Computer with Internet connection.
- MS Word or equivalent program.
Course developed by Andy Brenits
Enrolling online is easy and convenient.
Chat with our knowledgeable admissions staff to select course and program options.
Complete your registration entirely online.
Did you know? You can take this course as part of an award-winning certificate or degree program.